I’ve been going through several drafts of this post, figuring out what to write as a year-ender. In the past, I’ve done this survey about the past year. I’ll still do that, but I wanted to do something else. I don’t know what, but I’ve been inspired by several people’s posts.
There’s Kimmeh’s “first” post, where listed down things she did or experienced for the first time. Then there’s the various gratitude posts, which I truly would love to do, as I feel that 2010 was the year that I have so much to be thankful about. I decided to do a bit of both, since most of the firsts are also things I’m thankful for.
Being able to travel
This year I was able to get out of the usual places I go to. I went on a rather impromptu trip with my best friend and my brother to Bicol. It was the first trip Nez and I ever took together so it was fun. We had a lot of misadventures from the get-go but everything else was just great. It was also a first for so many things: Wakeboarding, going to Peñafrancia, Daraga Church, etc. It was also Miks’ first time on a plane.
I was also able to go to Bohol, and with a people I barely knew except through Plurk. It’s something out of my comfort zone, because I always believed that it was best to go someplace with people you know. However, I was proven to be wrong and had an amazing time with them.
It was also a thrill for me to bring some friends to Zambales. Even though I’ve been inviting people to visit, this is only the second time that friends really took me up on my invitation.
Celebrations with the family
This summer, Mama’s family took a vacation in Candelaria. We spent the weekend there, singing, swimming, eating and having a great time. For Mama and Nunik’s birthday, my Tita Ruth took us to Tagaytay for the weekend. It was great fun as I was with my crazy family and it allowed Mama to catch up with her siblings. Food and laugh trip all the way. It’s something I’m so very happy to have had.
This year we also had a string of family food gatherings, cookouts and trips, mostly with the Bañares side of the family. We went to Binondo, then had several food cookouts (including my birthday) and dinner whenever Tita Ruth and Tito Vic would arrive from a trip abroad.
Lolo Sal also celebrated his 85th birthday. We invited people who knew him from way back, and it was the first gathering we had for him since Lola passed away years ago. I think he enjoyed it, and I’m glad we had the chance to give him that.
Papa also won a position in the town council as kagawad in this year’s elections. It was a tight race, and even with all the challenges he won.
This year was when I expanded my circle of friends. Most of them are people I met through those I already know, or I got to know better through Plurk (I love that site). In a year’s time, I’ve gone on trips with them, eat all sorts of food, start a new hobby, saw them get married and seen all sorts of things (good ones, mostly).
This is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. There’s a lot more things I’m grateful for that happened in 2010. While it’s not the best year, it isn’t the worst either. There were so many challenges this year, but I’m so thankful to have hurdled them. 2011 will bring new challenges, and I think I’m set to face them. I’ve got my family, and I’ve got true friends who I know will help me, support me and give me a kick in the butt if they know I’m being stupid.
And without further ado, my yearly survey!
What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
– A lot! I went on a trip with my best friend, wakeboarding, went on a trip with people I barely know and in that trip did a lot of firsts.
Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
– I swore off resolutions, but I did promise myself that I’d fulfill more goals each year. I don’t know if I were able to do a lot of them, but I’m still going to pursue them for this year.
Did anyone close to you give birth?
– Gilbz has a baby girl. 🙂
Did anyone close to you die?
– Not really close, but people who were familiar.
What countries did you visit?
– None. I stayed within the realm of the Philippines for the entire year.
What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
– Love life? Hehe. Financial stability. More drawings/artworks, more written works (fiction)
What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
– The trips to Bicol, Bohol and Tagaytay. Watching Darren Criss play his music live.
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
– Adapting my writing skills to a new field, I guess.
What was your biggest failure?
– I dunno.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
– My eye got infected, and I had to stay home for a week.
What was the best thing you bought?
– I always think it’s the food and the books.
Whose behavior merited celebration?
– People who selflessly helped others when they needed it.
Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
– Someone whom I initially respected.
Where did most of your money go?
– Food, household expenses and Pinky:St!
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
– Going to Bicol and Bohol!
What song(s) will always remind you of 2010?
– “Fader” by The Temper Trap
Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? — Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? — Heavier, which doesn’t necc. mean I’m fatter
iii. richer or poorer? — Financially, about the same, yet I think I’m richer in so many more ways.
What do you wish you’d done more?
– Draw. Write. (di nagbabago to ah. Hint hint, Kat)
What do you wish you’d done less of?
– Procrastinate, think evil thoughts of other people. Be shy.
How many one-night stands?
– None, but I did get a proposition hehe.
What was your favorite TV program?
– While strictly speaking I didn’t watch them on TV, I’m still following Bones & Chuck. Enjoyed Modern Family.
Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
– I don’t want to say “hate”, but I don’t trust that person as much as before.
What was the best book you read?
– I’d like to say “The Hunger Games” but I haven’t finished it yet.
What was your greatest musical discovery?
– The Temper Trap, Starkids (AVPM, AVPS)
What did you want and get?
– Trip out of town
What was your favorite film of this year?
– Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. Just because I’m a Potter fan.
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
– I turned 29, nobody at work knew it was my birthday hehe. I did have a small get-together with my family on that weekend.
at one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
– I dunno. If I drew more, I guess.
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
– Long shirts FTW!
What kept you sane?
– Going online with my friends on Plurk, hanging out with them, my siblings and their daily antics.
Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
– Darren Criss, Joey Richter and Joe Walker, Ben Barnes.
What political issue stirred you the most?
Who did you miss?
– My lola.
Who was the best new person you met?
– The folks I met in Plurk and became good friends IRL.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
– Trust your instincts, be more aware.
What was the nicest thing someone told you about yourself:
– Someone told me I’m a very smart and talented person… however I’m just careless and lazy at times.
The most touching experience you’ve had this year?
– Getting invited to Fristine’s wedding when I just met her this year.
What did you like most about yourself this year?
– I did more things, traveled, had fun.
What did you hate most about yourself this year?
– I’m still rather shy and sort of an anti-social being.
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
– It will always be Juice’s “Best Days”
Was 2010 a good year for you?
– I’d like to think so.
What was your favorite moment of the year?
– Going to Bicol and Bohol, spending the weekend in Tagaytay with the family
What was your least favorite moment of the year?
– Frankly, December.
Where were you when 2010 began?
– In Candelaria.
Who were you with?
– The immediate family
Where will you be when 2010 ends?
– Still in Candelaria, hopefully at the beach.
Who will you be with when 2010 ends?
– With my family
Do you have a new years resolution for 2011?
– Not really, mostly goals.
What was your favorite month of 2010?
– September, I think.
Did you lose anybody close to you in 2010?
– No one really close, but a few relatives.
What was your favorite record from 2010?
– Temper Trap’s “Conditions”, Maroon 5’s “Hands All Over”, A Very Starkid Album
How many concerts did you see in 2010?
– Not much really. Mostly shows, like Franco’s and Darren Criss’.
Did you drink a lot of alchohol in 2010?
– Yeah. More than my usual.
Do a lot of drugs in 2010?
You do anything you are ashamed of this year?
– There are a few.
How much money did you spend in 2010?
– Um, my entire salary?
What was your proudest moment of 2010?
– Um… not sure hehe.
What was your most embarrassing moment of 2010?
– Sometime in August hehe.
If you could go back in time to any moment of 2010 and change something, what would it be?
– Wala naman.
What are your plans for 2011?
– Keep on going, I guess. 🙂 Travel to Florida, be a better guitar player.
How are you different now that the year has ended?
– I think I know myself a little better.
What are your wishes for the new year?
– Continued good health for me and the family, financial stability… well, I listed it all in my “Dear Universe” wishlist. 🙂
——– SURVEY II ———
Where did you begin 2010?
– In Candelaria
What was your status by Valentine’s day of 2010?
– Happily single
Did you have to go to the hospital?
– Yeah, I think.
Did you have any encounters with the police?
– MMDA lang. Nahuli si Papa along EDSA hehe.
Where did you go on vacation?
– Candelaria, Baguio, Bicol, Bohol, Tagaytay
What did you purchase over $500?
Did you know anybody who got married?
– Yes! Two of my friends got married. Fristine to Alvin, Thea to Justin.
Did you know anybody who passed away?
– Yes, I did.
What sporting events did you attend?
What concerts/shows did you go to?
– I saw Darren Criss perform live!
Where do you live now?
– In my parents’ condo pa rin
Describe your birthday.
– Regular workday, but no one at work knew about it hehe.
What’s the one thing you thought you would never do but did?
– Travel with people I barely knew. I always expected to go places with close friends. The experience was fun though.
Any new additions to your family?
– I got a new 2nd cousin.
What was your best month?
– September, I think.
Who was your best drinking buddy?
– My cousins, because I felt safe with them.
Made new friends?
– Yep, lots.
– Just that I didn’t exert myself more.
What do you want to change in 2011?
– Be less shy, speak up more, pursue more creative avenue, be more financially savvy.
Overall, how would you rate this year?
Have any life changes in 2010?
– Kind of.
Get a new job?
How old did you turn this year?
– Twenty frickin nine :p
Did anything embarrassing?
Get married or divorced?
Be honest – did you watch American Idol?
– Not this year.
Start a new hobby?
– Collecting Pinky:St and anime figurines
Are you happy to see 2010 go?
– I’m good with it.
Drank Starbucks in 2010?
Been naughty or nice?
– A little bit of both
What are you wishing for in 2011?
– more love, more opportunities to travel and be creative, financial stability
– Not really
– Not applicable hehe
Was involved in something you’ll never forget?
Visited a different country?
Cooked a gross meal?
– I don’t cook gross meals. I’m a good cook 🙂
Lost something important to you?
– Kind of
Got a gift you adore?
Tripped over a coffee table?
– We don’t really have a coffee table 😛
Dyed your hair?
Came close to losing your life?
– I think there were fair instances
Went to a party?
Read a great book?
– Oh yes! And it’s still not Twilight! Wahaha. Neil Gaiman and Nora Roberts for the win!
Saw one of your favorite bands/artists live?
2009: FRIENDS AND ENEMIES
Did you meet any new friends this year?
Did you dislike anyone?
Did you grow apart from anyone?
– In a way, yes, but it’s not a bad thing. I know that friendship is still very strong.
Do you have any regrets when it comes to your friendships?
2010: YOUR BIRTHDAY
Did you have a cake?
Did you get any presents?
2010: ALL ABOUT YOU
Did you change at all this year?
– A bit
Did you change your style?
– I wore dresses and girly shirts more often
Were you in school?
– Thinking about it
Did you have a job?
Did you drive?
– Still no hehe
Did anyone close to you give birth?
– A few friends did
Did you go on any vacations?
Would you change anything about yourself now?
– Get rid of the extra flab pa rin hahaha.
2010: WRAP UP
Was 2010 a good year?
– I’d say, 80%
Do you think 2011 will top 2010?
– Why not? 🙂