How I made the Clockwork Droid mask

When Joiz and I decided to attend the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary party set by fellow Whovians, we thought it would be cool to come in costume, as we were sure many attendees will be doing. However, we had little time to decide which to go as and get it set up. We decided in doing some villains because for sure there would be a lot of Doctors already, and villains are a bit of a challenge.

I picked the Clockwork Droid from the episode “The Girl in the Fireplace”. I figured it would be easy to find the clothes as it was more or less standard for 18th century France. The mask was going to be the bigger challenge.

In the end, it was actually the other way around.

Materials
Basic materials (scraps and tools not included here)


Joiz bought me two pieces of paper mache mask from National Bookstore. It wasn’t cut in the same way as the mask, as it was more rounded around the chin instead of tapering off to a point. It meant that I had to do some cutting. But first, the details.

Canvas
Blank mask

Mask 1
Putting on the details.

Since the mask didn’t have pronounced cheekbones like the actual CD mask, I had to find a way to put it in. My first attempt was with paper mache, although it’s lumpy even though I used a blender. With some water and glue, I placed it in on the mask with a pattern copied from the masks used in the episode (on that note, I had to watch GITF several times and even took screenshots). The cheeks were enhanced with paper mache and left to dry overnight.



Once dry, I had to figure out how to elongate the chin area before I painted it. I cut it off and formed it with strips of lightweight cardboard cut from a used shoebox. I covered it with paper clay (one I got from National Bookstore). It dried pretty fast, minutes really, then it was off to paint.

Mask 1: Painting

When it comes to colors, I usually just mix everything. For the base, I added some yellow acrylic to white poster color. Dilute a bit with water and paint all over the mask. The lines that are supposed to be cracks were painted with gray paint. Doesn’t seem to look like cracks eh?

WIP: Mask 1

Once dry, paint in the other sections. After it dried, I realized that the colors I chose are quite patriotic. I colored the sides to give the mask some shape. All in all it took me two days to finish the first mask, mostly because I had to wait for it to dry.

I was pleased with the outcome, but since I had time and another mask, I thought I’d give it another try. First, I cut off the forehead and the chin. This time, I used the paper clay to make the embossed details. The clay dries really fast, and I had to glue it to the mask.

Mask 2

I made the chin, but compared to the first one this wasn’t very nice. It’s the only thing I’m not happy about with Mask 2.

Paint over with the same mixture as before. The color scheme is pretty much the same, but I’ve lightened the blues and reds and I used purple for the eyes instead of black. Colored the sides but I also failed here because the mask looked fat.

Finished
Both masks: first mask up front, second mask at the back.

If I could have the chin of Mask 1 and the other details of Mask 2, I’d be happier.

For the blade, I used illustration board, lots of glue, scrap brown paper and silver spray paint. I added the black stockings on the masks’ eyes on the day itself just so my eyes wouldn’t be visible.

Costume
So I initially thought that this would be the easy part. My first plan was to scour the many ukay-ukay shops around Marikina for the base materials that I would tweak and embellish. I already had a frilly blouse, but no vest, coat or pants. I couldn’t afford to have a costume made, and I didn’t have time to make my own. In the end, I borrowed my mother’s pants (thanks Ma!), found some white knee socks and looked around the city for an embroidered vest. The frilly scarf was made an hour before the contest registration with masking tape and crepe paper.

I didn’t use a wig either. Instead, I just didn’t comb my hair.

DW50PH
Putting it all together. With a TARDIS.

DW50PH
With Joiz before the event.

For a low-budget (spent around P900+ for everything) and time-constrained costume, I think this ended up quite well. I know which parts to work on the next time, and maybe then I’ll have better resources.

P.S. If you need a mask and you have no time to do it on your own, let me know. I can do commissions, but be warned I’m not a professional. 😛

One comment

Comments are closed.